Monday, April 6, 2015

The Pickaxe Won't Be Necessary, Simba

About a week ago, I made an interesting discovery in my Garfield research, and that called for a new post!

It started when I was transferring a VHS tape of mine where I'd recorded a few Garfield and Friends episodes from Toon Disney. Knowing these were of course the syndicated versions of the episodes, I wasn't expecting anything new. But then this little gem surprised me at the end of Show 25.



As you'll recall, the previously found quickie "Human Relic" was not used in the international masters. Naturally, I was very surprised to find it at the end of a syndicated episode where only one Garfield Quickie was shown. Keeping the odds in mind but not throwing away any possibilities of other missing quickies showing up in syndication, I checked more syndication recordings and sure enough... I found this.



Unfortunately, my syndication copies of Shows 14-21 are missing the quickies, so whether or not those have the missing quickies remains a mystery. I can confirm though that neither Show 28 nor Show 29 use the quickie "Balloons."

Finally, at long last you can see the Screaming With Binky segment "Baseball" in its entirety.



Following this find I have started work on a list of which Quickies are used in syndication. As I'm still missing several syndicated episodes, the list will be incomplete when I post it, but hopefully in due time we can track the rest of those down the same way we've already uncovered plenty of premieres.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, it's mimitchi33 here! I just wanted to know how you can get kids' TV VHS tapes off eBay, because I'm looking for four missing episodes of Mumfie (my current obsession) and the uncut Mumfie's Quest episodes, and my best bet is to look for used VHS tapes recorded from Fox Kids/Fox Family of the show. I tried to find some, but they seemed to not be cartoons and movies. Any tips on what to search for on eBay to help me find recorded tapes of kids' TV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cartoon recordings in general don't show up on eBay all that much so you gotta get lucky. The best advice I can give is to pay attention to every auction. Sometimes an auction might simply say "VHS tapes sold as blank" but the labels will have cartoons listed on them. Good luck on your Mumfie search!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I also have lost the recording of Wanted: Wade you exchanged to me (I'm MilkTheCouch on YouTube, BTW) since the older computer I had it on unfortunatley broke. Can you please resend me the link along with the links of stuff you promised to trade to my email?

      Delete
    3. Sure, I can send you that. Actually I need the Garfield stuff you sent me again (Shows 53 and 59-61) for the same reason. Shoot me an email at cdcb3283@gmail.com and we can continue the conversation there.

      Delete