Sunday, January 20, 2019

20 Garfield Stories (Part One)

Happy 2019 everybody! The new Garfield and Friends DVD came out a couple days ago, and no surprise--they're the widescreen remasters. Of course, the disc is predominantly Garfield shorts, but a few U.S. Acres shorts are sprinkled in too. As of this post, none of the shorts have been released on Boomerang's app yet, and with the majority coming from the last two seasons of the show, it could be some time before we see the full episodes.

Thanks to WorldCat.org, I can provide a rundown of the shorts included...


  • Garfield: The Wight Stuff (Season 6. Show 95)
  • Garfield: Canine Conspiracy (Season 6, Show 92)
  • U.S. Acres: Snow Wade and the 77 Dwarfs Part One (Season 6, Show 92)
  • U.S. Acres: Snow Wade and the 77 Dwarfs Part Two (Season 6, Show 93)
  • Garfield: The Pie-Eyed Piper (Season 6, Show 96)
  • U.S. Acres: How Now, Stolen Cow? (Season 6, Show 97)
  • Garfield: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse (Season 6, Show 98)
  • Garfield: How to Drive Humans Crazy (Season 6, Show 98)
  • Garfield: Lost and Foundling (Season 6, Show 102)
  • U.S. Acres: The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere's Duck (Season 6, Show 101)
  • Garfield: Stairway to Stardom (Season 6, Show 101)
  • Garfield: The Life and Times of the Lasagna Kid (Season 6, Show 100)
  • Garfield: Films and Felines (Season 6, Show 102)
  • Garfield: Garfield's Garbage Can and Tin Pan Alley Review (Season 6, Show 105)
  • Garfield: The Legend of Johnny Ragweedseed (Season 7, Show 107)
  • Garfield: Top Ten (Season 7, Show 108)
  • Garfield: Puss in High Tops (Season 7, Show 110)
  • U.S. Acres: Kiddie Korner (Season 7, Show 114)
  • Garfield: Alley Katta & the 40 Thieves (Season 7, Show 118)
  • Garfield: Clash of the Titans (Season 7, Show 118)

As long-time readers of the blog may recall, Season 6 was the season that the U.S. Acres gang was dropped from the logo. Given the blunders on the Boomerang release, I would have expected them to get the title cards wrong... but to my pleasant surprise, at least two U.S. Acres shorts use the correct "character-less" versions. (Photos courtesy of Nostalgic Nathan)

One real head scratcher though is the theme song that opens this disc. Although the song itself is correct (for Season 6 anyway), the majority of clips shown were never used in any broadcast version of the theme song. One might assume they threw these clips together as a "preview" of sorts to show what's on the disc, but several of the shorts (and quickies...) represented actually aren't on the disc (eg, The Garfield Musical, Grape Expectations). Whether this new version of the intro is exclusive to this release or intended as a replacement for Seasons 3 and beyond remains to be seen.

(Video once again courtesy of Nostalgic Nathan)



Once I get a copy of the disc for myself, I'll write a more in-depth review with better screenshots (and perhaps my brief thoughts on the shorts...).

In the meantime, you can pick a copy of the disc up here for a mere $4.79. 

2 comments:

  1. I was actually going to buy this after reading that my all-time favorite U.S. Acres episode was included (Kiddie Korner), but the fact the original U.S. Acres title cards are included makes me want it even more! I'm planning on getting it for Valentine's Day as a result. And it's funny that they included the remastered versions, as I joked to my sister about how I couldn't wait to see the remastering process of Kiddie Korner cut off the bottom of Aloysius' dartboard (since the Wanted: Wade one cut off Orson's hand during the "How do you plead?" scene. On a side note, it appears that the restoration doesn't seem to use the rap theme. On a thread on AnimeSuperhero I read, someone contacted Nine Story and they said that the master tapes for the first opening were lost as well as "one short in episode 49 and one short in episode 106". So maybe this is why the opening for this disc also uses the reanimated Garfield on a fence? Though it may be a relief to many that the rap wasn't used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don’t know the right words to express my gratitude to Herbalist Dr. Kham. After being diagnosed with Herpes Virus 2 months ago, I was given so many health prescriptions and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until I found testimonies of Great Dr. Kham online when I was researching on a Blog, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him but I later did and he opened up to me and told me what was involved and he started. the remedies for my health. Thank God, I was cured from Herpes Virus by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that Herpes Virus can be cured, From the bottom of my heart I'm truly grateful and I pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support, You can Email him via email dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or for easy and fast communication, Here is his Website https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com/ You can also call or add him on WhatsApp with this mobile number +2348159922297, One thing I love most about Dr. Kham is he is a good man with kind hearted,  He is very polite with his patience, Everything he told me was what he did and his herbal medicine are very affordable     

    ReplyDelete